Basic Civic Integration Examination Abroad

You want to live with your partner in the Netherlands. To be allowed to live in the Netherlands, people from outside the EU usually need a permit. For this purpose you must first take the Basic Civic Integration Examination Abroad. This test is about the Dutch language and Dutch society. You can prepare for this exam using this website.

Read more information about civic integration in the Netherlands in the brochure Basic Civic Integration Examination Abroad of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment.

Practice independently with a study package Naar Nederland

The Dutch government has had a study package made with the name Naar Nederland. It consists of Lesson materials for people who want to prepare for the Basic Civic Integration Examination Abroad Naar Nederland contains Lesson materials for learning to speak, understand and read Dutch. You can also practice for the exams Knowledge of Dutch Society, Speaking proficiency and Reading proficiency. Naar Nederland enables you to practise for the exam independently. You can order the lesson materials or download them free of charge from this site. The package is available in 34 languages.

View the Lesson materials

  1. Practise with the sample exams
  2. Log in for the e-learning program
  3. Sign up for the exam

The civic integration examination abroad consists of three sections:

You take the exam at an embassy or consulate general in your country of origin or country of residence. The exam is taken on a computer. If you have any questions, you should ask the embassy staff member before the exam begins. Once the exam has started, you will not be able to ask any more questions. You do NOT have to do any writing during the exam.